1961 CHRYSLER 300G NO 27
- Nut and bolt restoration
- Rare Cross Ram matching numbers 413/375 HP V-8 engine
- Dual 4-barrel carburetors
- Factory air conditioning
- Jet like dashboard instrument panel with 150 MPH speedometer
- Original Golden Touch radio with power antenna
- Power swivel front bucket seats
- Front to rear full length console with mounted tachometer
- Tinted glass
- Remote control mirror
One of just 338 produced in 1961, this rare and beautiful Chrysler 300G convertible won AACA First Place Honors in 2002 and in 2004 was awarded AACA Grand National Certification confirming its status as one of the finest of its kind.
The 1961 Chrysler 300 G Convertible
The Chrysler Corporation introduced the so-called “Letter” cars in 1955 with the 300 Series. The 300’s were full-sized grand touring machines made famous by Karl Kiefhaefer whose racing teams successfully campaigned the 1955-56 versions of the 300 on the NASCAR circuit. These production cars appealed to affluent enthusiasts who wanted brute power wrapped in luxury and head-turning style. They were offered from 1955 through 1965.
The Chrysler 300’s from 1955 through 1958 were powered by Hemi engines (331, 354, and 392 cid). The later Letter 300’s (1959-1965) were powered by the new 413 cid `RD’ wedge V-8. By 1961, Chrysler had run through the 300, B, C, D, E, and F to, in 1961 this Chrysler 300G. The 300G was powered by the 413 cid Golden Lion Wedge Head V-8.
This dashing convertible was one of the last designs by styling chief Virgil Exner who brought the `Forward Look’ to Chrysler products several years earlier. The 413 cid Wedge-Head V-8 boasted 375 HP making it capable of exceptional performance.
At a base price of $5,841, the 300-G convertibles were among the most expensive American cars but gave their occupants 4-place bucket seat travel in rarefied elegance with very high performance. Weighing in at 4,260 pounds the 300-G equipped with the standard Torque Flight automatic transmission and a 3.31 rear end ratio could race from zero to sixty in a mere 8.4 seconds. The quarter mile time was just 16.2 seconds.
As the 1960’s began, the styling became less flamboyant though still retaining the performance and design cues that had made it popular. The 1961 300G was equipped with tail fins and eye-catching tilted head lights. Inside they were elegantly appointed and filled with luxurious amenities. Underneath the hood was a potent power plant that carried these large luxurious vehicles with power to spare.
The 300G represented the pinnacle of luxury, style, and performance for Chrysler Corporation in 1961. It was the second and last year for the cross ram induction set up to be included as standard equipment. The cross-ram setup maximized power and torque resulting in faster accelerating. As noted above it had a zero-to-sixty time of just 8.4 seconds which is an incredible feat for a vehicle of this wright and size.
The Lang Collection is proud to count this outstanding example of mid-century automotive design, performance, and history among its number.